Service Pack 2 for SQL Server 2014 will be released closed to date of release of SQL Server 2016. Reason why this is interesting for DBA’s is the fact that just right next to several fixes to database engine, some of the new features introduced in SQL Server 2016 will be also available in this build.
- Information displayed in SYS.DM_DB_INDEX_USAGE_STATS will be reset only when database would go offline or server is restarted.
- Other administrator friendly feature would be possibility to see progress of database recovery process with new xEvents with new actions
- New spills warnings during sort operations in tempdb
- Memory grant Showplan warning which shows in one of the 3 conditions:
- Under used – when the max used size is to small compared to the grant size. It is causing blocking and less efficient usage
- Over used – when the used size exceed the grant size. May cause out of memory on the server
- Excessive growth – when the dynamic grant increases too much. this may cause server instability and unpredicted query performance